Monday, February 14, 2011

Tell Me, Was that Saint Anthony?

Since learning about St. Anthony, I find myself praying to him on a regular basis. I first learned about him on my trip home from New Jersey this past October. The airport was busy, lots of people coming and going, but I was checked in and made my way to the gate. I found a seat in the waiting area. Nothing like feeling lonely in a crowded place, but it happens. I was the only one in the row for a few minutes and then a lady sat down near the other end, and when some other folks came along, she moved over and took the seat next to me making room for them. I don't know how the conversation between us began, I generally don't talk to anyone. But I'm sure glad I didn't miss out on this. She was very talkative, and told me I'm going to tell you this story. "I'm Jewish, and I'm always misplacing things. It so happens I lost a ring and one of the children in the family who is catholic told me I should pray to St. Anthony. After inquiring about this saint, she was told he was the Saint for lost things! She said she now found herself praying to him a lot, because she was always losing things.

Now I remember, this conversation began after she made a comment about the ring I was wearing. It was a gift from one of my sisters many years ago. The gem stone is alexandrite! She informed me I should have it appraised and maybe some day I will. So, see the gift of a ring, also brought a gift of a short conversation with a total stranger. Her flight was called and I was sorry to have to say good bye. But she left me with a story of a Jewish lady who prayed to a catholic saint. And now, I find myself praying to this synonymous saint. I lost that same ring I referred to not long ago. And I was going crazy searching for it and fantasizing about what could have happened to it. I looked in all the logical places to no avail. Can't begin to say how many times I returned to the same old places checking for it. To add to my frustration, I couldn't remember the last time I had worn it. Well, I took her advice and prayed to St. Anthony, and whether or not it was him, I did find the ring! Searching a drawer I had checked several times already, I made notice of a little red cloth case. I took it out, and opened it. Low and behold, there was my ring with all the other jewelry I had taken on the trip in November to Nebraska. To say I was thankful is an understatement, when I thought about having to look for everything else that was in that case!

On that same trip to Nebraska, I had my first encounter with St. Anthony! Jan, my sister, and I took this road trip because our oldest sister was critically ill. Jan's husband let us take his truck instead of my car. It was newer and would be better if we encountered bad weather. First day out, we had stopped to gas the car and get some quick food. That was the big mistake! After eating we were back at the truck, guess what? No keys! Not quite true, we had another set, but did not include the cover for the bed of the truck. And of course, that's where all our luggage was. The only thing we could think of, was she had left the keys on the lunch tray. We returned to the scene of the crime. She checked at the counter and then approached one of the workers about checking the trash can! No keys! I remember telling Jan about St. Anthony.

We road in silence for quite some time, both wondering what we were going to do. We did have a change of clothes in a carry on so we were okay for another day. We stopped that night in Colorado Springs. We were getting ready for bed when Jan called out, I found the keys!? After changing she had just picked her jeans up and gave them a little shake before folding them and heard a noise. Looking down at the floor, there were the KEYS! Where they had been we do not know, but one thing we do know is they were not in her pockets. So, you tell me, was that St. Anthony?

No comments:

Post a Comment