Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Beautiful May Basket!

A banner day! My next door neighbors, Mike and Diane both play with the Phoenix Symphony. They have two daughters ages 8 and 12. Due to their special work hours, Diane's parents come to Arizona from Minnesota every winter and take care of the girls during the symphony's season. It so happened that this year they had to return home a month early, so I have helped out! And last night while I was there, I asked the girls if they knew what tomorrow was? They gave me a strange look, and said, "It's the first of May." I said, "Yes, it is." I went on to tell them that when I was growing up, this was a very special day for kids. It was called May Day, and a celebration of spring and health. One of the ways we celebrated, was by hanging May Baskets on the doors of special friends. I explained how my Mom would spend the week before creating these beautiful baskets. Then we filled them with candy and little flowers, hung them on the door knob or placed them just in front of the door of our friends home. We would ring the bell or knock and then run. You were not to let them know who left the basket.

Will guess what? I was sitting in my chair this afternoon watching TV when the door bell rang! I wasn't expecting anyone, thought maybe it was my grandchildren. . . . It took me a little while to get there. But, looking out, I didn't see anyone. Thinking that was strange, I opened the door and Behold, there was a beautiful May Basket hanging on my door knob along with a lovely boquet of flowers! What a surprise and joy for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment