Thursday, January 13, 2011

How Fun Will That Be?!

Recently, I was asked, "What do you do for fun?" Sounds much like those other questions I stutter and stammer over, such as, "Now that you are retired, what do you do?" And, "What's your hobby?" Why do these questions bother me? That's a better question. If you are retired are you no longer a contributing member of society? Are they stating, if you are not working, how and what can you possibly be doing to fill all those hours in the day? Do they actually want you to say, "Oh, I just kick back in my easy chair and watch the tube?" I think all three of these questions are the kind the person asking really doesn't want a real answer, much like, "How are you?"

What do I do for fun?! When I become perplexed over something, especially a word, I refer to my friend, Merriam-Webster! So, herein lies the answer. Fun l: what provides amusement or enjoyment: playful often boisterous action or speech. It also means Jest, Sport, Game, Play mean action or speech that provides amusement or arouses laughter. Fun usually implies laughter or gaiety but may imply merely lack of serious or ulterior purpose.

Wow, I must be having fun most of the hours of the day because most of my day lacks serious purpose! I also asked myself, "What would Jessie or Miche, (grand children) respond to this question? Without doubt, their number one response would be, "Hanging with my friends!" That would be whether or not they were at The Mall, playing sports, participating in band or color guard, on fb, on their cell phones, txting, but mainly it would just be being together with their friends. Well, I can go along with that. That is probably very close to what I consider fun, but I would also have to include hanging with family as well! It is not so much what you are doing, it's that you are with friends! Boisterous action or speech, that would be watching a good football game and hopefully the team I was cheering on would be winning, but not always the case.

When I print this for my journal, I think I will post it on my desk where I can refer to it the next time I'm asked one of these questions. And pity the poor person who asks, for they will receive a barrage, of responses! How fun will that be?!

(refer to Lesson # One: Trampoline Lesson, now that was FUN!)

No comments:

Post a Comment