Friday, May 4, 2012

Paws for Patients

I was here yesterday and complained about the new format, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now even more!  After working on a draft for over an hour, went to the preview, all went well until trying to download an image.  With one touch of a button, everything on the page flew out like it had wings of a bird.  Needless to say, I was unable to recapture any of the document!  Where is that place in cyber space?  I know I have a bunch of stuff out there.

You may or may not be aware that my little Yorkie, Max and I are a Therapy Team.  We passed our evaluation with The Delta Society the middle of December, 2011.  We have been accepted as volunteers with The Paws for Patients program at Chandler Regional Medical Center.  The hospital is in close proximity to our home making it conveient location for us.  Tuesday, of this past week, we had our first official visit as a Team!  A rewarding experience indeed!  Getting here has required due diligence, Max would be the first to tell you if he could!  I'm so very proud of his accomplishment!

We met with the Paws Program Director, at 9:00AM and spent the next two and a half hours shadowing her and her dog, Joey.  Our first stop was The Volunteer Office to check in, but enroute, she let Joey off leash.  He knew exactly where to go as he turned into one of the open doors in the hallway.  After entering the room, I released Max too and he eagerly followed Joey greeting office personel and receiving TREATS!  That was just the beginning of many similar experiences during the morning.

Our first actual patient visit was in the Out Patience Cancer Center housed in a seperate building from the hospital, then back to the ER and on to the third floor of the hospital, where we encountered most of the patients we were to see.  One of the first, was a young man late twenties maybe?  We knocked on the door and inquired if he would like to have a visit. His response, "Yes!"  As we entered the room, he eyed Max, and very emotionally covered his face with his hands and said, "Oh, I'm going to cry, he looks exactly like my dog, and I miss him so much!"  He cradled Max in his arms while stroking him!  This one little incident made everything we've worked so hard for, worthwhile!  I will never forget this!

The problem, I did not realize how physically challenging this would be for me!  A little over two hours on my feet, never sitting down, was almost too much.  Actually, it was too much.  I was exhausted!  If I am to continue some things will have to change for me.  With advice from The Director, I have purchased a stroller for Max.  I carried him a good part of the time, as well as his water and some personal items.  So that will help, and I may have to cut my time too.  It is so difficult to admit, I just don't have the energy I would like, but then, who does?


No comments:

Post a Comment