Given the talent, I would request the inspiration to emulate writers like Andy Rooney, Erma Bombeck or Clay Thompson. They take the simplest topics and make them interesting. All three include humor and there is no hidden meaning, you know exactly where they are coming from. My favorite of Erma"s was the title given one of her books: "Why is the Grass Always Greener Over the Septic Tank?" For Clay Thompson an often used quote, "Oh, you people," when for the upteenth time he has to once again explain something. In case you are not familiar with him, he writes a daily column for The Arizona Republic newspaper. Clay also referes to his superiors (editors) as his masters! Andy Rooney, is the greatest in my opinion. Anyone can relate to his topics at the end of 60 Minutes TV program. My favorite is "The god of dents, dings and money syphons." I admit , I copied the title and wrote my own version (giving him credit of course.) It's in my journal somewhere. I recall one evening he used his time talking about what he had in his pocket? How can anyone make something so simple, meaningful to millions of viewers. They use an idea everyone can relate to, and make it interesting and fun! They have my vote at being the best in what they do!
Yesterday morning, I sat looking at the blank page and couldn't think of a thing to write. This is where I struggle. "What to write?" So, I am compelled to share this recent experience.
I subscribe to "Easy Way to Write" web site and newsletter edited and managed by author and teacher, Rob Parnell. I had lost this connection and only recently found it again, after perusing my writing folder. It gererally contains a short writing assignment and yesterday's lesson was "Fast Writing." I tried it out and was startled and amazed at my results! The directions were as follows:
Use a relaxing technique, like deep breathing. Visualize words appearing on the page, do not try to read them, think of a color and your lucky numbser, write them on the top of the page along with a name of a character, open a book and select a word at random, write it alongside the other three. Without thinking begin writing, don't stop for ten minutes. Do not edit, do not go back, don't look at the page. Write in a trance, think story and the four words. Don't stop!
I was so surprised by the results, I just sat here at the computer startled and amazed! What I had written actually made sense and something I could continue at a later time as a short story. AMAZING! I only had to go over half way aroung the globe to Australia, to find this and other writing experiences just as good, and they are free! The newsletter always concludes with, "Keep Writing!"
No comments:
Post a Comment