My year of adventure continues one day at a time, and today it started with a trip to Scottsdale for a medical appointment. The report wasn't great, but it was good. My blood pressure 100 over 62? Must be from all the rest I've been getting sitting at the computer these past few weeks.
On the drive there, looking towards the northern horizon, I saw beautiful billowing, vertical, cumulus clouds building up over the desert mountains. They had the appearance of being mountains too, or enormous mounds of whipped cream. They will probably bring rain and storms up north, but there is no rain in the valley desert forecast for awhile.
My first stop back to Awahtukee, the residential area where I live, was The Native New Yorker for lunch. I was starving, having had no breakfast other than coffee that morning. I had been thinking Philly cheese steak sandwich and iced tea every since I decided to eat out. My server was about the age of one of my grandsons and had sweet endearing names for me. It didn't hurt my feelings and he certainly wasn't being condescending. The service and food was good as I expected, but not out of the ordinary for the establishment. It was a four star experience, maybe three due to noise from one of the nearby tables.
There had to be another stop yet, and that was the grocery store. This is truly an unwelcome task for me. But, I've put it off about as long as I can and still have food in the house. Mainly I was in need of fresh fruit. Max and I had our last apple yesterday. I sit in the recliner after peeling the apple and Max sits on the edge of couch. Then I cut off small pieces for each of us. He loves the apple and attention! Anyway, I made my way up and down the aisles not seeing anything I really wanted, and asking myself, "Why are you here?" Tonight when I am unable to come up with anything for supper, I'll remember.
I am actually becoming more observant, especially of people. As I was meandering around the store I saw this guy several times,walking around more aimlessly than I was. What struck me as odd or strange, was he was not exactly a young guy, and he was wearing short shorts! Most men regardless of age, if they were wearing shorts, they were at least to their knees and baggy. You see, now I am part of the men's fashion police!
And this brings me to my next adventure or encounter or whatever. Only one register was open and I was the last one in line. One of the cashiers came out and said he would take me at the next register. I followed. As I struggled with my keys to get the little discount card for him, he asked, "May I see you ID?" You know, for the beer. May I see your ID? All the time I'm still trying to get my keys from my purse. It finally registered what he had said. Do you know how long it has been since anyone asked me that?! I've just been waiting for the time, and when it happened all I could do was stutter and stammer making no sense. The young man sacking groceries had just the hint of a smile! I saw it, and that's okay. We all enjoyed the moment! And I won't forget anytime soon that I was asked verification of my AGE! lOVED IT!
No comments:
Post a Comment