This writing exercise was to participate in some people watching and catch little snippets of individuals or small groups, to later write about. It is a study in developing characters for fiction. I've had plenty of time for observing others due to all the problems and wait time I've had with my car. In fact, the setting for my characterization, was in the parking lot of one of those repair shops. This is what I caught in my mind's camera.
I was about fifteen minutes early for my seven-thirty a.m. appointment. Because it was already warm outside, I sat in the car with the door open and the radio playing softly. I had been watching people go inside, and figured they were employees. As I was staring out into space waiting for the clock to move, I caught a glimpse of a man slowly making his way across the drive. I think it was the resemblance to my late husband that kept me intrigued. The man was elderly, walked slowly with the use of a cane. It did not appear it was giving him much support. His stature was heavy and of medium height. He wore a cap, and was dressed in a tee shirt and shorts. There was no one with him, so I assumed he had driven himself. He sat on the bench just outside the door that entered the building lobby. Obviously, he was early too. The man lacked any facial expression, but seemingly deep in thought. He sat with his head bowed, chin on top of his hands that were resting on the crook of his cane. I remember thinking, and wondering what was going through his thoughts. Wondering if perhaps he had something very serious on his mind. Or, was it that he was just tired from having to arise so early, and plainly would prefer to be elsewhere.
The next time I looked his way, he was gone, but returned a short time later, and was seated in the same place. A couple more gentlemen and a woman went inside. Obviously, the office was now open. Joining the others inside, I made arrangements for my car. It took but a short time as they were already familiar with my situation and had read the fax I had sent to them. As I opened the door, crossing the threshold on my way out, I saw the man was still seated on the bench. Looking up at me, we greeted one another and made some comment about having to be there etc. I replied, explaining in a very few words with frustration clearly evident in my voice, why I was there. And if I could, I would gladly use a hammer on the infernal engine light! It brought an immediate response of hearty laughter on his part. Then a car pulled up, he stood and was on his way, leaving me to continue pondering, while waiting for my ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment