August 3, 2010
Today, I learned something new about myself. Well, maybe I just never gave it much thought before. I have a good sense of humor! In fact, I would stretch that a bit further to include our entire immediate family as having a good sense of humor. And I do look for this trait in others as well. Michelle (daughter) and I were discussing this very thing recently, because we happened to be talking about Darrel (deceased son). We spoke about what a wonderful story teller he was. I venture to say that no one could have heard him tell his story of the trip home from the North Rim of the Canyon when we were all there many years ago, and not be doubled over in laughter. He was with Bob. Bob is like one of the family and he was the main topic of the story. (We love you Bob.)
Grandma Dutton, an extremely hard working, no nonsense kind of person. But what a sense of humor she had. Many were the times I saw her laugh until the tears were rolling down her cheeks. And when she told a story, she had a talent of being able to use accents of the individuals, and make you feel like you were right there. It added immensely to the humor and the story. In fact, she sometimes gave readings for some of the local women"s groups. I'm not putting any of us in the category of a comedian, just the ability to see humor in everyday things and really enjoy laughter, sometimes at our own expense.
This morning, I took the car (about the fourth time) for emissions testing. The last time it failed because, "It wasn't ready." Well, neither was I. Anyway, this time it passed! Oh, Happy Day! I drove it about twenty miles before and maybe that helped, I don't know, just glad it passed. To celebrate I stopped at Paradise Bakery for a bagel and coffee on my way home. I hadn't had breakfast yet. As I was leaving, two gentlemen were standing outside the door talking and when they saw me both reached for and opened their side of the door. I thanked them as I walked out between them and said, "It's not every day I have two good looking men open the door for me." I caught them off guard and then they both laughed as I did. One of them replied still laughing, "We're not referred to that way very often either." I just kept walking with a big smile on my face and I'm sure they did too. Now, I didn't know I was going to say anything at all to them, it was just spur of the moment thought, but I gave them and myself just a little bright spot in our day!
Lord knows, in today"s world we all can afford to do more things in our lives that make us smile! So make it a practice everyday, of giving some of yours away! You'll be glad you did. It is almost unheard of, if you give a smile to someone, that they won't return it. So make your world a better place - SMILE!
No comments:
Post a Comment