While I wrote this before I began blogging, it is just as meaningful now.
After viewing Facebook, my daughter, Michelle had complimented my adventuresome spirit. It stemmed from a photo posted by my grandaughter, Miche. I was on a trampoline! And it was my first attempt, I had waited a long time to try. The experience proved it was more difficult than it seems, but Miche was right there with me, holding my two hands much like we do for small children learning to walk.
Aside from balance, the most difficult things was to get my feet into the air. We've all watched a toddler try to jump. They use a lot of body motions, but their efforts only allow one foot off the floor at a time, much was the case for me. The difference being, I couldn't get either foot off. Yes, I did try and it evoked much laughter, but also a feeling of accomplishment.
After thinking about an adventuresome spirit, I am in full agreement. Just never really thought about it before. In fact, asked about it, my response would have been just the opposite. In my defense I will just mention a few experiences. I married when I was only eighteen and began the biggest adventure of my life. Drove alone with my sister to Augusta, Ga. to be with my new husband while he was in the US Army for basic training. I was the first of my siblings to leave our home state and live over a thousand miles away. I began college when the youngest of our five children started to kindergarten. I took up skiing late in life, mainly so that our kids had the experience. I didn't stick with it very long. Dressing in ski suit, sitting in the lodge, sipping a beverage, and watching the skiers was more to my liking. The next adventuresome challenging experience was backpacking and hiking to Havasupai in the Grand Canyon. Wow, somewhere along the trail as I was on my way out of the canyon, I wasn't sure I was going to make it. About the same time a mule train was on their way down. Sitting on one of the mules was a guy, who looked like he should be carrying the mule, looked down at me and said, "Ah, it can't be that bad?" I cannot write what I was thinking!
Probably, the second most adventurous would have to be writing and publishing my memoirs about five years ago. Sure would like another experience like that. It takes such a lot of work. But writing is an adventure in itself, you know not where it will take you.
Right now I am living a new adventure, one day at a time trying to build a new life for myself since my husband went to be with the Lord two and a half years ago. One thing I know from experience, adventures are not always enjoyable, they can, and most often are challenging, but generally, when finished you can say to yourself, "Job well done!"
Defined by Webster, adventuresome is characterized by unknown dangers and risks. That means just getting into your car everyday proves you are adventuresome, doesn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment