Friday, August 20, 2010

Definitely an Ahhhh, Moment!

Just returned from a two week trip to Lincoln, Nebraska including side trips to Conestoga Lake, Denten, NE, Giltner, NE, as well as a day on each end in Pine, Az. But the main reason for the vacation was my 60Th high school class reunion in Lincoln. ( I know, you are all working on the math.) I will write about reunions at a later date. It is enough now just to say, a good time was had by all.

My sister, Jan joined me in the trip and that way, I didn't have to fly. Not my favorite way to travel, nor hers. We have had a couple of experiences leading to our dislike. I fly only when it's the only way. She, her husband Tom and their three yorkies live in Pine, AZ and that's my reason for stopping there. I leave Max with his buddies, Reggie, Molly and Penny(the yorkies). On leaving I impart to everyone that Max is going to camp. And he really is. Tom takes them on hikes in the forest almost daily. They can bark at the deer and even Lucy, an elk that frequents the area right behind the back fence. Believe it or not they pay little heed to them. As far as they are concerned these little dogs are just a nuisance. Of course, the dogs know when other animals are around before they can be seen, giving them plenty of reason for barking and running the fence line.

The weather in Pine this time of year is great, with cool temperatures and usually includes a slight breeze blowing through the pines. Tom pampers and spoils the dogs with love, I sometimes refer to him as the Pied Piper, because they follow him everywhere. Not at all unusual for all of them to be sitting on the chair with him at one time. For me, my favorite thing to do there, is sitting on the deck with Jan, Tom and all four dogs, having my morning coffee. Believe me, it is definitely an "Ahhhhhhhhhh, moment!

Well, we are now home and it will take Max and I some time to recover from all the activity. Max checked out the back yard and all his favorite places immediately, going first to a little statute fountain. He seemed intrigued with something about it even before we left. After watching him sniffing all around it, I saw what it was that had his fancy. A very tiny little ground squirrel ran out from underneath. He went so fast, I don't think his little feet had time to touch the ground. Max was right behind it, and I was right behind Max. What a sight?! Thankfully the little creature found safe haven in some tree branches on the ground. They were from a tree I had taken down shortly before I left, fearing it might well come down by itself during a monsoon storm while I was gone. Max, not wanting to give up, finally responded to my command of "Leave it! and Come." But it was at his will, not mine if you know what I mean?

Anyway, right now he is doing one of his other favorite things and that is sleeping. This is about his third little nap of the afternoon. My own recovery will be adjusting to the two hour difference in time and enjoying the best part of any vacation and that is sleeping in my own bed tonight!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to be home and glad you made to Phoenix safely. Looks like Max has a new hobby, chasing the ground squirrel. I know his buddies here would be jealous. Nothing better than a romp with a squirrel. Tom's back from his morning stroll with the dogs and it's deck time. Catch you later. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have to read your blog to find out how you're doing and if you're home yet??? LOL Sounds like you and Jan had a great trip.Can't wait to hear about it! Glad to hear you're home safely. ;)

    ReplyDelete